The Globe-Times -- Bethlehem
January 3, 1928
Thrilling Game on Gotham Field Monday -- Reserves Get Chance to Play

The Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club completed a three days tour, playing two league games and an exhibition tilt, the latter against the New York Nationals on the Polo Grounds on Monday afternoon. The end of the ninety minutes of hostilities found the two teams deadlocked at one goal each.

Although no league points were at stake, the game was a thriller from the start to finish and jammed full of exciting plays. In spite of the grueling grind against Boston and Fall River the two previous days, the Steelmen were in fairly good physical condition.

The lineup was materially rearranged for the exhibition game, including many reserves in place of regulars. However, with the team the Steelmen were able to give as good as they received.

Bethlehem scored the first goal which enabled them to lead at half time, but upon turning round the "Nats" went right after them and not only drew level but several times threatened.

The Nationals made a bee line for their rivals' goal as soon as the game got underway, Edwards being called upon to save stinging drives from McKenna and Brown. Bethlehem drove them back and peppered Renzulli from all angles, but "Pete" was as safe as a rock under the fusillade of shots which came at him from all directions. Two corners were obtained but after exciting scrimmages in the goal mouth both were kicked clear.

Just before half time Jock Ferguson, the forty-two-year-old marvel, went down the right wing line a racehorse putting across a wonderful center and Tommy Gillespie pounced upon the ball and whizzed it into the net for the goal, which enabled Bethlehem to lead at half time.

The Nationals set up a strong attack upon resuming, but could not dent the powerful Steelworkers' defense until seventeen minutes had elapsed when George Henderson profited by fullback Reid misjudging the ball, crashed it past Edwards and tied up the score. From then until the end of the game both teams went at their work hammer and tongs, and despite desperate efforts to score neither defense could be penetrated. The lineup:

N. Y. Nationals -- Bethlehem
Renzulli -- G -- Edwards
Clark -- RFB -- H. Reid
McGhee -- LFB -- Allan
Gallagher - -RHB -- MacDonald
Slaven -- CHB -- W. Reid
Martyn -- LHB -- Robertson
Henderson -- OR -- J. Ferguson
McKechnie -- IR -- Ballantyne
Brown -- CF -- Gillespie
Fitzpatrick -- IL -- Rollo
McKenn -- OL -- Goldie
Referee -- C. E. Creighton. Linesmen -- T. Dempsey and J. Hume. Goal for Nationals by Henderson; for Bethlehem by Gillespie. Substitutions - -Walker for Brown and Croft for Fitzpatrick. Time of halves: 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club