The Globe-Times -- Bethlehem
Monday, January 24, 1927
Nine Thousand Fans Witness Soccer Battle Which Ends in 2-2 Score

Before a record-breaking crowd of nine thousand fans Bethlehem, national champions and league leaders, and Fall River battled to a 2 goal draw at Fall River on Sunday afternoon in an American Soccer League game. The game was the last league meeting of the season the teams having faced each other on four occasions with two of the games ending in a draw and one each won by the rivals.

Brilliant combination work by both clubs thrilled the spectators in one of the hardest fought games of the season. Fall River, playing to overcome the lead of the Bethlehem clan, fought with a determination that found Bethlehem equal to the occasion in fighting back to give as good as they received.

Edwards Shines at Goal

While many features were outstanding, probably the most brilliant playing of the day was that of Edwards in goal. In spite of the two counters that got past him, Edwards was otherwise invincible and his clever handling on labeled shots frequently turned back the Marksmen's attack.

Both goals scored by Fall River were notched in the first half by Sam Kennedy, a newcomer to the team, who replaced Paterson at center forward. And both shots were that well placed that Edwards had no chance to save. Gillespie counted one of Bethlehemís two goals in the first half, locating the net on a well placed corner kick. The half ended with Fall River leading 2 goals to 1.

In the second half the Bethlehem defense was tighter and the majority of the Fall River attacks were readily stopped before they reached dangerous territory. However, with a one goal lead the home team massed its effort in defensive play but in spite of these tactics Archie Stark broke through to score the equalizer. Bethlehem pressed hard in the closing minutes of play but the winning goal was frustrated. The lineup:

Fall River -- Bethlehem
Kerr -- G -- Edwards
McGill -- RFB -- Barrie
Gibson -- LFB -- Allen
McPherson -- RHB -- McDonald
Wilson -- CHB -- Carnihan
Coyle -- LHB -- McGregor
Campbell -- OR -- Jaap
Abdullah -- IR -- Stark
Kennedy -- CF -- Gillespie
Kelley -- IL -- Rollo
McEclvian -- OL -- Goldie
Goals: Kennedy 2, Gillespie, Stark. Referee: Tom Cunningham. Linesmen: Stirrup and Morse. Time of halves, 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club