The Globe -- Bethlehem
January 26, 1925
Indiana Flooring Goes Down to a 3-to-1 Defeat in American Cup Tie Game

In a game characteristic of cup tie affairs, in spite of the adverse elements, Bethlehem Steel F. C., by its well merited victory over Indiana Flooring on the Steel Field, on Saturday afternoon advanced to the second round in the American soccer League cup competition. As was predicted the visitors gave a far better display than many expected and fought with a determined vigor to stave off elimination. However, at the final whistle, the Steel Workers were leading by the score of 3 goals to 1.

Although the snow had been cleared off the field, the turf was hard and slippery, and interfered materially with clever footing. Combination work, accurate passing and frequent miskicks were witnessed and withal this disadvantage, the few devotees who braved the zero weather were treated to a hard fought and spirited contest.

All three goals notched for Bethlehem were made by Archie Stark and incidentally each shot was a perfect aim at the target. Two of these were produced in the first half and the other and final came well in the second half. Carson the visitor's center forward, was responsible for the visitors' lone tally made possible by the clever work of Duggan, on the right wing.

The visitors threw a scare into the Bethlehem adherents when within the first ten minutes of play, they located the Bethlehem goal and assumed the lead. On a breakaway Duggan carried the ball down the right wing and then middled perfectly to Carlson who, although eighteen yards out shot with terrific speed and beat Carson with his final effort.

This early success, instead of discouraging the Steel Workers, seemed to inspire them to greater effort and it was not long thereafter that the count was equalized. The veteran "Jock" Ferguson in clearing sent the ball up the center to Captain Carnihan. The latter gave it to Stark who shot from about twenty yards and placed the ball well out of the reach of Brown.

Indian, however, was not yet beaten and, in fact, fought back courageously even after the Steel Workers assumed a two goal lead. Following the equalizing tally play was frequently transferred from one end of the field tot he other, and it was not until late in the session that Bethlehem forged to the front. Levin, the Indiana right back received the ball and it seemed had plenty of time to clear. Instead, he shoved the ball to Ferrier at left back, who seemed somewhat surprised and in attempting to clear miskicked completely. Awake to the opportunity Stark dashed past the back and with no one to beat but the goalie carried the ball to close range from where he shot it crashing into the net. Once after that, in the half, Bethlehem had an opportunity when Brown made a good save.

The restart again witnessed both teams battling hard with Bethlehem seeming to have much the better of the play and threatened in Indiana territory more often. Time and again Forrest tricked the defense in carrying the ball up the field but in centering it seemed that Indiana players were wherever Bethlehem men should have been. Once in extreme was Brown tested, and that was when he pushed out Rollo's header labeled for a counter. The break finally came and was productive of a pretty display by Stark. [ . . .} in cross from Goldie, the Bethlehem front liner headed the ball ahead and then slipping past the back caught it with his head on the bound and placed it in the net. Indiana protested that Stark had handled, but Referee Oates disallowed the claim and the point counted. There was no further scoring and the final whistle found Bethlehem ahead by the score of 3 goals to 1. The line-up:

Beth. Steel -- Ind. Flooring
Carson -- G -- Brown
Young -- RFB -- Levin
McPherson(?) -- LFB -- Ferrier
McDonald -- RHB -- MacFarlane
Carnihan -- CHB -- Terris
Robertson -- LHB -- Herd
Forrest -- OR -- Duggan
Granger -- IR -- McIntosh
Stark -- CF -- Carlson
Rollo -- IL -- Coxe
Goldie -- OL -- McKay
Goals: Stark 3, Carlson. Referee, D. Oates, Philadelphia. Linesmen, Howell and Start. Time of halves, 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club