The Globe -- Bethlehem Monday, April 1, 1918

Biggest crowd of the season witnessed the game.

By defeating the Illinois aggregation the Steel Workers became finalist for the national challenge cup.

Soccer experts from the west, who accompanied the Joliet team, expressed fine comment on the playing of the Steel Workers.

The Bethlehem Steel Band kept the crowd in good humor before the game and between the halves.

By defeating Joliet the local team will now probably get a chance to avenge a defeat suffered last year when Fall River won the national challenge cup.

W. F. Cahill, secretary of the United States Football Association, came on to witness the game and although somewhat favoring the Bethlehem team, was surprised when the locals rolled up four goals.

Snatches of "Over There" and other latest camp songs played by the Steel Company Band while the players were in action, added a military flavor to the event.

Ideal weather conditions prevailed and there was a general shedding of overcoats, especially by those who crowded around the field and enjoyed the full effect of the sun's rays.

During the first half the visitors appeared to be suffering with stage fright. The whirlwind attack by the Steel Workers fairly carried them off their feet and their play was marked with poor teamwork, indifferent passing and bad punts. During the second half the play became steadier and as a result the game was more closely contested.

Duncan robbed the visitors of the only chance they had to make a goal, stopping a swift pass by dropping full length on the ground to intercept the ball.

Fleming's playing was brilliant and well worth the plaudits of the crowd. This blond headed individual three times drove the ball in the net. Murphy, his partner at outside right, erred several times in not passing when a score seemed possible.

One of the fastest players ever seen on the local field was Vadino, the visitors' outside left. The smallest man on the field, his brilliant and speedy playing brought considerable admiring comment.

When six minutes after play started Bethlehem scored a goal the vexed and worried expressions adorning "Billy" Sheridan's face, suddenly disappeared and instead a smile showered his countenance, which he carried tot he finish.

Every one of the Bethlehem players featured in the game and their excellent teamwork was responsible for the four goals.

Soccer games should draw bigger crowds, was an expression heard by the writer several days ago. Probably if the transportation facilities were more improved the athletic field would have bigger attendances.

Many fans turn home because of the inconvenient transportation.

After suffering their first defeat this season at the hands of the Bethlehem Steel Company, Saturday, which team ousted them from the national challenge cup competition, the Joliet Steel Soccer team of Chicago tackled the crack New York eleven at New York yesterday in an exhibition game and lost 2 goals to 1.

In a National League game, the West Hudson soccer team beat the Scottish-Americans by 2 to 1 at Clark's athletic field, Kearney, N. J., before 2500 persons.

The Babcock & Wilcox F. C. beat the hustling Bridgeport City soccer eleven 2 to 1 at Bayonne, N. J. yesterday in their replayed third round American Football Association cup tie. At the end of the regulation period the score was one goal each, scored by Muir for the home team, while Hardy notched for Bridgeport. Extra time was ordered and in the first 15 minutes Aitken gave his side the lead and enabled the "Babs" to enter the semi-final round.

By defeating the Lynn Hibernians at Lynn, Mass., yesterday, the Fall River Rovers advanced into the semi-final round of the United States Football Association's cup tie competition.

Paterson, by the score of 3 to 0, defeated the Jersey A. C. in the National League fixture at Olympic park in Paterson yesterday. Garside, McGreevey and Hayes made victory certain for the home team in the first half. Zehnbauer scored for the losers in the second half.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club