The Globe -- Bethlehem
Monday, April 27, 1925
Not Likely Now That Local Soccer Team Can Win American League Pennant

Playing their usual strong game when pitted against the Bethlehem Steel team and favored with the contest on their home grounds the New York Giants yesterday afternoon before four thousand people managed to draw with the Steel Workers, shoring the points of the American League contest while Fall River winning from Providence increased their lead in the league race to virtually two points.

Apparently realizing the prestige of defeating or hold the Steel Workers [...] the Giants played as though possessed and displayed probably one of their best games of the season. The game was played under a boiling sun and the atmospheric conditions had a severe effect on both teams. At the final whistle many of the players were on the verge of physical exhaustion.

The Giants attacked strongly and also played well on defense. However, the Steel Workers did most of the pressing but several shots labeled, one especially from the toe of McDonald, struck underneath the cross bar but instead of deflecting inside of the net rebounded into the playing field.

During the first half before the stamina of the players was taxed by the torrid rays of the sun the spectators witnessed some exciting and spectacular football. Frequent were the invasions to the respective goals but it was not until with one more minute to go that the Steel Workers scored the first tally. It was a beautiful shot from the toe of Archie Stark after taking a pass from Rollo.

Although the Giants strived hard to equalize and waged a determined battle the Steel Workers remained on the long end until the last fifteen minutes of play. Duggan centered and Brown beating both Carnihan and Ferguson who missed the ball, drove in a shot on which Carson had no chance. Exerting every ounce of reserve energy the Steel Workers pressed hard and just an instant before the whistle sounded crashed in a goal that would have brought them victory. The lineup:

Giants -- Bethlehem
Geudert -- G -- Carson
Reynolds -- RFB -- D. Ferguson
Meyerdiers -- LFB -- J. Ferguson
Scott -- RHB -- MacDonald
Parkes -- CHB -- Carnihan
McKinney -- LHB -- McGregor
Duggan -- OR -- Granger
Brown -- CF -- Stark
Millar -- IL -- Rollo
Moorhouse -- OL -- Goldie
Referee -- George Lambie, of Boston. Linesmen -- A. Laurie and C. Gallagher. Goal for the Giants -- by Brown, for Bethlehem by Stark. Time of halves, 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club