The Globe -- Bethlehem
Monday, April 29, 1918
In Replayed Game at Philadelphia on Saturday, Locals Have Ball in Their Opponents' Territory Most of the Time.


On Saturday at Tacony Bethlehem Steel defeated Disston A. A. in the replay semi-final American Cup game by one goal to nothing. The Steel Workers pressed for three-quarters of the game but it was only in the last minute they scored the goal that put them in the final.

Captain Pepper won the toss and elected to play with the wind behind him. Fischer kicked off for Disston, passing to Burnett, Tommy Murray intercepted Burnett's pass to the outside left and placing to Pepper the latter passed to Butler who immediately sent in a fast low drive, but Ness was on the job and made a fine clearance. The Steel Workers were taking advantage of the strong breeze and continued to attack and Ratican just missed the upright on a nice cross from Murphy. Campbell got possession of Ness' kick out and placing nicely to Fleming the latter hit the outside of the net with a fast drive. Disston's left wing got away on Ness' kick and a scrimmage in front of the goal looked bad for Bethlehem but Duncan was on the job and made a good clearance with three Disston men on top of him. Disston again looked dangerous, but the Bethlehem fullbacks were playing a splendid defensive game and the play was soon in Disston territory. Many good opportunities to score were lost through the over-anxiety of the Bethlehem forwards. Referee Young repeatedly called them up for offside. Towards the close of the first half Bethlehem forced a corner but Fleming did not make sufficient allowance for the strong breeze and the ball went wide. Shortly afterwards the Steel Workers forced another corner and Murphy also failed to allow for the breeze.

Disston took up the attack at this stage and Fletcher was forced to concede a corner. The kick was well placed but Bethlehem's defense was equal to the occasion and the ball was soon hovering around the Disston goal.

Although three more corners were forced Bethlehem could not score and the first half ended with Bethlehem pressing hard. Score, nothing to nothing.

The Second Half

Disston had the advantage of the strong wind in this half and were soon attacking but the Bethlehem defense was in great form and the Disston forwards were forced to shoot from long range. Duncan made a good save on a shot from Burnett. Campbell got possession of Duncan's clearance and placing nicely to Murphy the latter raced along the touch line, but his cross was poor, it going over the goal line with Ratican and Pepper in good position. On Ness' long kick Disston forwards broke away but the three Bethlehem halfbacks were playing in wonderful form breaking up any efforts at concerted action and placing nicely to their forwards.

The latter were given opportunities to attack but the Disston fullbacks were also in clever form and every clearance was carried by the breeze to the Bethlehem goal but try as they would they could not score the Steel Workers giving a wonderful exhibition of defense when hard pressed. A shot from Hyslop was nicely handled by Duncan, but a foul was called on Fischer for undue attention to the goal tender. Once more Disston returned to the attack but again the Disston captain was penalized for actions not consistent with the rules of the game. Duncan took the kick and Murray getting possession placed to Pepper. Pepper and Murphy carried the ball down the right wing with nice footwork, Murphy crossing to Butler. The latter drew McLaughlin on and placed to Fleming. Tommy's shot was blocked by McEwan and a corner resulted. Fleming placed the ball in front of the goal but the Disston defense was equal to the occasion, McEwan clearing. Kirkpatrick got possession of the clearance and crossing to the right wing the ball was forced out. With one minute to go it looked as if extra time would have to be played but the unexpected happened that crushed the hopes of the Disston fans and brought joy to the big delegation of Bethlehem rooters. Murray threw the ball into Murphy and the latter sent a fine cross over to Butler who fooled McLaughlin and passed to Ratican who without hesitation drove the ball into the net for the goal that meant victory for Bethlehem.

On the restart Disston attacked strongly, but the Bethlehem halfbacks fell back to assist the fullbacks and a fine clearance by Fletcher was the last of the game, the final whistle blowing with the ball in the air. Final score: Bethlehem Steel 1, Disston 0.

Disston A. A. -- Bethlehem Steel
Ness -- G -- Duncan
McLaughlin -- RFB -- Fletcher
McEwan -- LFB -- Ferguson
Matthews -- RHB -- Murray
Wilson - -CHB -- Campbell
Graham -- LHB -- Kirkpatrick
Coursey -- OL -- Murphy
Hyslop -- IR -- Pepper
Fischer -- CF -- Ratican
Barnwell -- IL -- Butler
Barrett -- OL -- Fleming
Linesmen -- James Walders, James Kerr. Referee -- George Young.

The Disston's press agents apparently had writers cramp when describing Saturday's contest in which the Steel Workers won. Scarcely half a column appeared in the Philadelphia papers where, when Disstons held the Steel Workers to a tie in Bethlehem the week prior, a full column was devoted in describing the play. Maybe the sting of defeat hurts too much to go over the details in describing the play.

The New York soccer team beat the Jersey A. C> in a National League game at New York yesterday by 4 to 0.

In a rousing game in the third round of the New Jersey state cup soccer tie, at Kearney, N. J., yesterday, Paterson eliminated the West Hudson team by 3 to 2, before 1,500 enthusiasts.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club