The Globe-Times Bethlehem
Monday, May 21, 1928
J & P Coats Blanked 3-0 in Philadelphia Contest Saturday.

Playing one of the best brands of soccer since the team has been journeying to Philadelphia to play its home games, the Bethlehem Steel on Saturday afternoon easily vanquished J & P Coats, winning by the score of 3 to 0.

The Threadmakers were completely outclassed and before the end of the first forty-five minutes of play, Bethlehem had scored all three goals and had the game in the bag. Characteristic of the usual Bethlehem style, once the team had forged into a comfortable lead the players relented and seemed content to sail along without making any great effort to add to their score.

The Steelmen introduced a new player into the lineup in Robert Haist, a product of Germany, where he played with the Stuttgart Club and more recently a star player in the Pittsburgh District. Haist played outside left in place of Malcolm Goldie and displayed a good knowledge of the game. Realizing that he was not in the best condition, the management was nevertheless impressed with his showing and will continue to experiment further with him.

Owing to the idleness of Bob MacGregor, veteran halfback, Watson, a former Scottish player and recent addition to the club, assumed the latter's position. This was Watson's second appearance in a Bethlehem uniform, having played center halfback in an exhibition game at Trenton in which Bethlehem and Boston deadlocked at 3 goals each.

In the second half Archie Stark, center forward, aggravated an old leg injury and had to be replaced by Walter Jackson. The latter had many good opportunities to add to the Bethlehem score but for some reason or other his drives failed to penetrate the net.

All the scoring was done in the first twenty minutes. The Steelmen started with a rush and took advantage of the Coats booters. Rollo made the first tally when he took a pass from Haist, who was making his debut with the Steelmakers.

About five minutes later Stark counted on a pass from Gillespie. With eighteen minutes of the game gone, Gillespie tallied the final marker when he booted the ball 18 yards from scrimmage into the net.

After this score the losers seemed to find themselves and set up an air-tight defense. It was too late, however, for the defense of the Steelmen was just as close, and the two teams battled for the rest of the game with the ball virtually always in midfield. The lineup:

Bethlehem Coats
Edwards G Kerr
Barrie RFB Thompson
McMeekin LFB Martin
Reid RHB Stewart
Carnihan CHB Perry
Watson LHB Flannery
Gillespie OR Hulme
Jaap IR Kennedy
Spark CF Barlow
Rollo IL Oliver
Haist OL Turner
Goals: Stark, Rollo, Gillespie. Referee: Jimmy Walker. Linesmen: John Walters and George Young. Time of haves: 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club