The Globe-Times -- Bethlehem
Monday, August 26, 1929
Bethlehem Booters Display Class in Downing Hungaria F. C., 5-3

Bethlehem's pre-season soccer campaign was auspiciously launched in Philadelphia on Saturday afternoon when before a crowd of close to one thousand enthusiasts the home booters defeated the greatly revamped Hungaria F. C. by the score of 5 to 3. Both teams are members of the Eastern Soccer League.

In spite of the fact that the Steelmen were somewhat handicapped in recruiting a full side owing to the absence of some of the players, once the combination got started here was no let-up until the final whistle found the Bethlehemites victorious.

For the opening game both teams played excellent soccer with Bethlehem including many of its old-time stars displaying the most class. Hungaria profited by several good breaks in the early stages of the game and were leading at half time, 2 to 0. But once the Bethlehem machine struck its stride immediately after the restart this lead quickly dwindled and the league champions forged to the front.

Archie Stark, premier American center forward, gave a brilliant display of his goal-scoring prowess. Three times he located the net and with a variety of unsavable shots. The combination play of Tom Gillespie and Stark was one of the features of the game.

Hungaria started a brisk attack following the kickoff, but the Bethlehem experts were first to find the net, Jaap landing the ball into the net well out of Scullin's reach after three minutes' play.

After half an hour of fast exchanges the Hungaria team equalized the score when Kuntner after a short advance passed to Pipa, who advanced close to goal and scored. Shortly before the interval Pipa, on a clever individual play, eluded Ferguson and gave his team a 2 to 1 advantage.

Starting the second half Bethlehem got down to work, Gillespie showed considerable of his famed dribbling ability [...] after an advance shifted the sphere to Stark, who made the score 2 all. Keeping up the pressure, Bethlehem dominated play and a pass, Stark to Purgavie, gave Bethlehem a 3 to 2 advantage.

Hungaria rallied and from a well-centered corner by Garfunkel, Kramer headed the sphere into the goal and again the score was tied at 3 all.

Once more Bethlehem arose to the occasion and the Gillespie-to-Stark play netted a goal. Later Stark added the final goal.

Bethlehem F. C. -- Hungaria F. C.
Beveridge -- G -- Scullin
Ferguson -- RFB -- Leffler
Allan -- LFB -- Zimet
MacGregor -- RHB -- Wardner
Carnihan -- CHB -- Schneider
Robertson -- LHB -- Strauss
Gillespie -- OR -- Kramer
Jaap -- IR -- Pipa
Stark -- CF -- Kuntner
Rollo -- IL -- Szeuntmikoocz
Purgavie -- OL -- Garfunkel
Score by period:

Bethlehem -- 1, 4 -- 5
Hungaria -- 2, 1 -- 3
Goals: Stark 3, Purgavie, Jaap, Kuntner, Pipa, Kramer. Referee, George Young. Linesmen, Purris and Slowik. Time of halves, 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club