The Globe -- Bethlehem
Monday, September 27, 1926
Bethlehem the Aggressor From The Start in Game Here on Saturday

Coordination between the wings and the forwards, coupled with an almost impregnable defense, were the outstanding factors in the 7 to 1 triumph scored by the Bethlehem Steel F. C. over the Newark club in their American Soccer League game on Lehigh Field Saturday afternoon. It was the Steel team's second victory in as many local appearances here in two weeks.

Bethlehem from the start proved the aggressor and not once during the entire 90 minutes of play did Newark threaten. Smith and Gillespie, new acquisitions to the Steel team this year were in fine fettle throughout and with Goldie, outside left, also displaying brilliant form. Bethlehem's forwards scored almost at will. Newark on the other hand presented a weak offense and an equally ineffective defense.

After Green, Newark's center forward, opened the afternoon's scoring 15 minutes after hostilities got under way by placing a neat shot into the net from the side of his team's only tally of the game. Bethlehem swung into action and through perfect teamwork among the forwards piled up a 5 to 1 lead before the end of the first period. Three of the five goals scored in this half came as the direct result of beautiful cross shots by Goldie which Smith and Gillespie readily converted into goals. The brilliant outside left was also responsible for one of the two other tallies made in the second half.

Shortly after Green sent Newark into the lead with his well directed shot, Gillespie equalized for Bethlehem by taking a cross from Goldie and planting it into the net. A penalty imposed on one of the visiting players led to the second score, Goldie getting possession of the ball when Bethlehem's penalty attempt went awry, and booting it perfectly to Smith who easily beat Murdock, Newark's goaltender, for the tally. Gillespie again entered the scoring ranks two minutes later when he registered Bethlehem's third point on another cross from the outside left.

Not to be outdone in taking a part in the barrage at Newark's net which the Steel booters were now attacking with such ease as to make the contest a rather one-side affair, Stark, leading scorer in the league last year, also broke into the scoring ranks he tallied following a scrimmage in front of the net. Then followed what was probably the most outstanding piece of individual playing during the day. Gaining possession of the ball 20 yards from the goal, Forrest tricked several of the Newark defensive backs and zigzagged his way to a scoring position for the most thrilling shot of the game and finally beating Murdock on the kicking. It was the last scoring in this period although Bethlehem came dangerously close to tallying on two later occasions before the close of the half.

The two other goals scored in the second period came when Stark headed in on a cross from Goldie and Smith shot from 15 yards out on the side for the final point of the game. Content to rest on these laurels, the Steelmen eased up during the remainder of the contest and exerted only enough strength to keep Newark in check. The lineup:

Bethlehem -- Newark
Edwards -- G -- Murdock
Barrie -- RFB -- Marshall
Ferguson -- LFB -- Herd
Raeside -- RHB -- McLeod
Rankin -- CHB -- Thompson
Robertson -- LHB -- Nichol
Smith -- OR -- Carstairs
Gillespie -- IR -- Costa
Stark -- CF -- Daley
Forrest -- IL -- Green
Goldie -- OL -- Fleming
Goals -- Smith 2; Gillespie 2; Stark 2; Forrest 1; Green 1. Referee -- George Young. Time of halves -- 45 minutes.

J. E. Stokes of 428 Grandview Boulevard and Earl Eastright, 224 East Wall Street, will attend the world series baseball game in New York two weeks hence as the guests of the Bethlehem Steel Soccer management.

Stokes and Eastright were the lucky individuals to win tickets to the baseball contest during the half time intermission at the Bethlehem Steel-Newark soccer game on Lehigh Field Saturday afternoon. As each fan passed through the gate, they were given a ticket bearing a number . The stubs of the tickets were placed in a hat and when the pick was made Stokes and Eastright held the winning numerals.

They were not the only ones to receive awards during the afternoon, however, for youthful Harry F. Houdeshel, Jr., of 716 Main Street, received a soccer ball also awarded by the management to the bay whose coupon identifying the picture of a soccer player printed in The Globe-Times last week were picked from the hat. Last Sunday two tickets to the Dempsey-Tunney fight were also given away by the Steel soccer officials.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club