The Globe -- Bethlehem
Monday, October 15, 1923
After defeating Same Team Saturday, Locals Gave Way Under 4-2 Score

Bethlehemites and New Yorkers who witnessed the Bethlehem F. C. New York F. C. clash on the latter's field yesterday afternoon are trying to figure out how it all happened. That is the apparent collapse of the Bethlehem defense, allowing New York to roll up four goals within a period of hardly more than fifteen minutes to emerge triumphant.

There was a decided weakness in goal, a position held by Carson, one of the Blue and White new acquisitions who joined the team with an excellent reputation. When the New Yorkers began to threaten, Carson guarded the citadel as though dazed and his efforts to save on shots that critics contend could have been handled were decidedly feeble.

With a victory scored over the Gotham clan in Bethlehem on Saturday, 4 to 3 the local club journeyed to New York on Sunday morning. Inspired with the one success the Bethlehems lost little time in going to their superiority was even greater than that apparent on the home field.

In spite of the defeat and the defensive weakness in the closing minutes, five thousand fans were treated to one of the finest displays of soccer ever witnessed. The beautiful combination work and accurate passing in the first half and the early minutes of the second half completely baffled the New Yorkers and when Bethlehem finished the first half on the long end of 2 to 0 score the outcome did not appear to be a case of who would win but how many more goals would Bethlehem roll up.

Bethlehem pressed hard right from the kickoff and was soon hovering around Geudert, who was called upon to flat out stinging shots from Maxwell, Goldie and W. Jackson in quick succession. This vicious offensive continued with only at long intervals the New Yorkers starting anything that looked like a threatening movement. But Geudert was in fine fettle and for more than half an hour was successful in turning back accurate and stinging shots at the goal.

However, such playing as Bethlehem displayed could not be denied and after thirty five minutes of play, sensational combination by the brilliant Jackson brothers brought the ball into New York territory and resulted in A. Jackson beating Geudert. New York was badly stung and assumed a fierce attack, but was met with an ironclad defense in which the veteran Jock Ferguson stood out conspicuously with some sterling play. This movement was decidedly short-lived for an instant later Bethlehem again did the pressing. W. Jackson counted the second goal before half time with a terrific shot which beat Geudert all the way.

For ten minutes in the second half Bethlehem maintained the lead but the New Yorkers after shifting their forward line did so with apparent effect. Duggan brought the fans to their feet with possibly the biggest thrill of the game. From a seemingly impossible angle from fifteen yards range, Duggan scored with a dazzling shot which would have beaten any goalkeeper.

That one goal was the turning point for after then when the New Yorkers were lustily cheered by their supporters the Bethlehem defense seemed to collapse. The lineup:

New York Bethlehem
Geudert G Carson
Kelley RHB Young
Ferrier LHB J. Ferguson
Meyerdierks RHB -- McFarland
Terris CHB Carnihan
Herd LHB Robertson
Duggan OR A. Jackson
Smith IR Turner
A. Stark CF W. Jackson
McGuire IL Maxwell
McGhee OL Goldie
Referee Tom Cunningham. Linesmen, W. Morrison and P. Gallagher. Goals A. Stark, J. Duggan, McGhee, A. Jackson and W. Jackson. Time of halves 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club