The Globe -- Bethlehem
Tuesday, October 16, 1917
Wins National League Soccer Game This Afternoon
Contest on New Athletic Field Witnessed by Good Crowd, Weather Ideal for this Kind of Sport

First Half
Bethlehem Steel -- 3
Babcock & Wilcox -- 0

Final Score
Bethlehem Steel -- 4
Babcock & Wilcox -- 0

Bethlehem Steel won the second game of the National Soccer League pennant race from the Babcock & Wilcox team of Jersey City, at the Bethlehem Steel athletic field this afternoon by the score of 4 to 0. The locals were more effective throughout the game in front of the goal, goaltender Duncan and the rest of the defense keeping the pigskin well outside of the goal. The visitors were unfortunate in two instances in the first half, the ball striking the goal posts in two attempts to score. A large crowd was in attendance and cheered the local boos on to victory.

First Half

Captain Muir, for Babcock & Wilcox won the toss and chose the western goal. A strong wind was blowing from the west and during this half Bethlehem steel worked with the wind in their faces. For that reason the ball was in the local team's end of the field during a large part of the half. Early in the half, however, Ratican drove the ball toward the goal. It struck the upright and on the rebound Fleming shot it into the goal in a beautifully placed kick for the first score. Ten minutes after the opening whistle Captain Muir for the visiting team suffered an injury to his left thigh and was forced to retire temporarily from the game.

The second goal was secured by the locals by McKelvey in a play much similar to the first. Fleming kicked the all against the crossbars and McKelvey shot it into the goal from the rebound.

The crowd went wild with delight when Forrest in a fine individual play scored a beautiful shot from the 18-yard line.

Score end of first half: Bethlehem 3; Babcock and Wilcox, 0.

Second Half

The "Babs" resumed the play in the second half with only ten men on the field, Captain Muir, who was injured in the first half, being unable to resume play. Because the wind was at the backs of the locals they appeared more aggressive, but were only able to score once more. This came twelve minutes after the whistle when McKelvey scored on a series of team plays. Although the play was largely in the visitors' territory from then on, there was no further scoring.

Final score: Bethlehem, 4; Babcock and Wilcox, 0.

Babcock & Wilcox -- Bethlehem
Kessam -- G -- Duncan
Nepier -- RFB -- Fletcher
Henry -- LFB -- Ferguson
Elkin -- RHB -- Pepper
Smith -- CHB -- Campbell
Harding -- LHB -- Kirkpatrick
Holden -- OR -- McKelvey
Muir -- IR -- Forrest
Miller -- CF -- Ratican
Sweeney -- OL -- Easton
Gaynor -- IL -- Fleming
Referee -- Robert Scott, Philadelphia. Linesmen -- Chadwick, Bethlehem; Stewart, Babcock and Wilcox. Time of halves 45 minutes.

Goals -- Fleming, McKelvey 3; Forrest.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club