The Globe -- Bethlehem
Monday, October 22, 1923
Contest Played in New York on Sunday On Saturday Locals

Again did Bethlehem on Sunday in the soccer game with New York have an opportunity of bringing home a victory, only to have it snatched away in a moment of laxness, but fortunately the local team was able to return with one point. The game may be considered an historic one, in that it was the first official soccer game to be played in the famous Polo Grounds and under most auspicious circumstances, there being ideal weather, a good crowd and playing conditions, insofar as size of pitch, absence of interference or annoyance upon the part of spectators, and a setting that was befitting the best of any kind of competition.

The jinx that seems to follow the Bethlehem team in the visits to New York was again present yesterday when it robbed the home club of two sure goals on well placed balls, that hit either the upright or the cross bar with the goalkeeper on the opposite end.

Highfield displaced Carson in goal and gave a very clever exhibition. The two goals charged against him were of such a character that no responsibility can be attached to him in any way. The first, which happened within the first few minutes after the opening of the second half, came from a scrimmage in front of goal. The second goal, which followed the first within ten minutes, occurred at a time when Bethlehem was pressing and its fullbacks standing on the half way line. New York relieved with a tremendous punt down midfield, which enabled McNiven to break through without being hampered by any of the defense, and although Highfield came out of goal, McNiven's shot was at such a correct angle that it gave the goalie no opportunity to prevent the score.

Bethlehem in the first half played its characteristic clever game, and had the New York defense completely at its mercy. W. Jackson was in great shooting form and essayed attempts without regard of distance. His efforts finally culminated after fifteen minutes from kickoff with a great shot at approximately twenty-five yards, the ball going into the net at terrific speed, with the goalkeeper being able merely to touch the ball as it sped past him. Bethlehem again continued its pressure and the New York defense was completely in the []. Two corners in quick succession were obtained, one of which hit the cross bar and the second was beautifully headed for a goal by Alec Jackson. On two other occasions, when in good position to score, Bethlehem claimed penalties, once for hands and the other for pushing W. Jackson off the ball, but the referee permitted the play for both instances to proceed.

Incidentally, the kickoff was made by Sam Crane, the Dean of American baseball sports writers, who took a lively interest in the game and expressed great admiration for the cleverness and ability of the players to withstand such a grueling pace for ninety minutes.

National Giants Bethlehem
Brown G Highfield
Reynolds RFB D. Ferguson
McIlwraith LFB J. Ferguson
James Scott RHB Rattray
Fryer CHB Carnihan
John Scott LHB Robertson
McAuslan OR -- Turner
Murray IR A. Jackson
McNiven CF W. Jackson
Patton IL Grainger
Sweeney OL Goldie
Referee: James Walder, of Philadelphia. Linesmen: F. Kelly and J. Robb. Goals for the Giants, by McAuslan and McNiven; for Bethlehem W. and A. Jackson. Time of halves, 45 minutes.

Saturday's Game

The Bethlehem F. C. ran away with the Kaywood Catholic Club eleven, of Philadelphia, in a first-round National Cup tie played on the Bethlehem Steel Field on Saturday afternoon. Seven goals to none was the final score in favor of the local soccer players. The contest did little more than afford the Bethlehem team a good it could hardly be call a snappy workout.

For about 15 minutes after the contest got under way, it looked as if Kaywood would make things interesting for the American Leaguers. At the expiration of the first quarter of an hour Grainger broke the ice when he took a pass from W. Jackson after the latter had received the ball from Ferguson. From then on until the close of the half, Bethlehem scored regularly every five minutes. The halftime count was 6 to 0.

Throughout the first half the ball was constantly in the visitors' territory. Highfield, the Bethlehem goalie, had a sinecure getting his hands on the ball only at long intervals. The local fullbacks, Young and Ferguson, seldom allowed the ball to get beyond them and were rarely called on to break up the Kaywood attack since the Bethlehem halfback line formed a tight barrier across the center of the field.

The lone tally in the second half came about 10 minutes after the restart when W. Jackson booted a 30-yard drive that Scott, the Kaywood goalie, was unable to handle. Scott was probably the busiest person on the field, being called upon to stop a steady stream of shots during the first half.

Content with the big lead rolled up [SECTION ILLEGIBLE] freeze the ball toward the end of the game when they are in the lead. So listless did the play become in the last 20 minutes of the game that all but a handful of the spectators rushed out to witness the efforts of the local fire department in extinguishing a fire in a nearby garage. The lineup:

Bethlehem -- Kaywood
Highfield G Scott
Young RFB Taylor
Ferguson LFB Barry
MacFarlane RHB Evans
Carnihan CHB Coffrey
Robertson LHB Fisher
A. Jackson OR Logan
Maxwell IR Swingler
W. Jackson CF Grines
Grainger IL -- Hughes
Goldie OL -- Jacovelli
Goals: Grainger 3; W. Jackson 3; A. Jackson 1. Referee Pomfrey. Time of halves, 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club