The Globe -- Bethlehem
Monday, November 5, 1917

Eastwood's goal in the last fifteen minutes of play practically eliminated the Wanderers from the National Cup tourney Saturday afternoon at Disston Ball Park, Philadelphia. Final score: Disston, 2; Wanderers, 0. The second point tallied by Disstons, resulted from a penalty given against Ploegearts for hands, but this did not decide the issue, as Eastwood's goal paved the way for the victory.

Walter E. Hinds announced last night that he had accepted the invitation to referee every Saturday at Germantown Boys' Club for the balance of the season. This will be a serious loss to league soccer, because Mr. Hinds is one of the best officials in Philadelphia and his services on that account were always in big demand.

With A. M. Addison, president of the National Referees' and the Referees' Association of Philadelphia, having charge of the Disstons-Wanderers game for the National Cup Committee, everything went along in fine style. Mr. Addison was the delegate and took care of the National Cup Committee's percentage of the receipts.

"Bob" Miller, Neil Clarke, Jacks Lance, all former Bethlehem players, and "Tommy" Gaynor, who played with the Hibs and Victors, will be at Philadelphia next Saturday with the Babcock and Wilcox team, which tackles Disston in the National League series.

Manager John Bedford of Disstons announces that he is after a couple of strong forwards to bolster up his tottering attack. One is a former Bethlehem player and a former Belfast star while the other hails from Pittsburgh.

"Dick" Spalding, formerly of Bethlehem, Johnny Small and "Connie" Lynch will be in the Disston's lineup next Saturday. This trio should make a great deal of difference especially as they know the game from A to Z.

The New York soccer team gave a fine account of themselves at New York yesterday when they knocked Clan McDuffs out of the National Challenge Cup competition by 2 to 0, at Lenox Oval. The game was a hummer from start to finish but the New Yorkers always had the measure of their opponents. The half ended 1 to 0.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club