Globe-Times -- Bethlehem
Wednesday, November 6, 1929
Gillespie and Henighen Score Goal in Election Day Exhibition Victory

Swinging back into winning stride the Bethlehem soccer team resumed relations with the Brooklyn Wanderers in an election day exhibition game on Tuesday afternoon and at the end of the ninety minutes of play were topping Mr. Agar's booters by the score of 2 to 1. Close to two thousand spectators were on hand to give Bethlehem a cordial reception on the team's first visit to Hawthorne Field, the home ground of the Brooklyn boys, in over a year.

The first half of the game was fairly close but after the teams turned around following the rest interval it was Bethlehem, playing against the wind, that was doing most of the pressing. If the regulation goal mouth had been only inches larger the Steelmen on their friendly pilgrimage would have amassed a score of greater proportions. All through the second half a volley of shots were rebounding off the cross bar and the upright . The aim on these tries just lacked inches.

However, with doing most of the pressing Brooklyn was kept busy on the defense and as a result were not at all dangerous. In the opening half it was a different story for within sixteen minutes after the opening whistle Yule sneaked through to place his parting shot well out of the reach of Andy Beveridge, Bethlehem's star goalie.

A perspective on the team on which Bethlehem will pin its hopes to annex the championship in the reorganized loop was obtainable in the manner in which the club lined up to meet Brooklyn. Alec Dick, tow headed inside forward, among the missing since the start of the season and who only the day before arrived from Scotland, made his debut at inside left. It was readily apparent that the speedy blond has not yet shaken off his sea legs although he stuck to his task until early in the second half when he was replaced by Curtis.

Notching their goal sixteen minutes from the start, Brooklyn managed to protect this lead up until the last eight minutes from the turn when Tommy Gillespie banged the equalizer into the net. The second period was hardly under way when Henighen put his team in front with a well aimed and timed shot. Continuing to attack Bethlehem swarmed the Brooklyn goal but the many shots rained at the visitors citadel refused to be planted into the net.

In the closing minutes of play the Wanderers, with the wind to their back, responded with a flurry that became a bit threatening but their bid to equalize was readily repelled by the stalwart Bethlehem defense. The score:

Bethlehem (2) -- Brooklyn (1)
Beveridge -- G -- Smith
Gibson -- RFB -- McAdam
Allan -- LFB -- Mullen
Reid -- RHB -- Maguire
Carnihan -- CHB -- Strom
McGregor -- LHB -- Mitchell
Dick -- OR -- Robertson
Henighen -- IR -- Enterkin
Gillespie -- CF -- Nehadoma
Massie -- IL -- Devlin
Purgavie -- OL -- Yule
Goals: Bethlehem, Gillespie, Henighen. Brooklyn, Yule. Substitutions: Worman for Mitchell, Hansen for Nehadoma, Curtis for Massie. Referee: C. Stott. Linesmen: R. Knox and R. Graham. Time of halves: 40 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club