The Globe – South Bethlehem
Monday, November 16, 1914
Eliminates Losers From National Challenge Cup Soccer Competition – Sets Fast Pace.

Bethlehems on Saturday eliminated from the national challenge cup soccer competition the Putnam F. C. by a score of 7 goals to 1. Bethlehems’ new men were not eligible to take part in this game, so the same local team lined up, that eliminated West Philadelphia, 6-0, two weeks ago.

Bethlehems won the toss, but Putnam soon set a fast pace against their more experienced opponents. Play was even for the first ten minutes. Mountney, in stopping a rush of the Bethlehems forwards, deliberately fouled Donaghy, a free kick being promptly awarded just outside of the penalty area. Fleming took the shot and beat Strauss with a hard screw shot. Shortly afterwards Millar scored the second goal from a pass by Ford.

Just before the interval, Donaghy scored from a scrimmage in front of Putnam’s goal. The first half ended, 3-0.

On the restart, Putnam attacked strongly and held Bethlehems scoreless for twenty-five minutes, when Lance brought Brown down inside the penalty area. Referee Young promptly awared a penalty. T. Walsh scored the visitors’ lone tally. This seemed to wake up Bethlehems and they attacked fiercely, registering four goals in as many minutes. Millar securing two, Fleming one and Ford one. The game ended 7-1.

While Putnam played a plucky game the team was outclassed in passing and punting. Only three or four times did the visitors threaten Bethlehems’ goal.

The line-up:
Bethlehems – Pos. – Putnam
Scaife – G -- Strauss
Murray – R.F.B. -- Mountney
Lance – L.F.B. – E. Brooks
Campbell – R.H.B. – M. Walsh
Clark – C.H.B. -- Welden
Morrison – L.H.B. -- Blakely
Ford – O.R. -- Hemingway
Millar – C.E. -- Shrig
Donaghy – I.L. – T. Walsh
Fleming – O.L. – Brown
Goals, Fleming 2, Millar 3, T. Walsh (penalty), Ford, Donaghy. Referee, Geroge Young, Philadelphia. Linesmen, Harrison, Bethlehems, Burgin, Philadelphia. Time of halves, 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club