The Globe-Times -- Bethlehem
December 22, 1924
Soccer Victories Over Weekend Land Bethlehem Eleven in Second Place

F. S> Nonnemacher
On the sand lot field of the Newark F. C. a pitch of frozen and bumpy gravel, Bethlehem Steel annexed its second victory in as many games over the weekend at the expense of the Jersey dribblers and by so doing climbed to second place in the league standing, displacing Boston by the margin of a one point lead.

In the two games, the one played here on Saturday and the other at Newark on Sunday, the Steel Workers compiled a total of ten goals, the biggest total for any two games this season, and displayed a forward line which no longer must rely on any one individual to locate the meshes but one that now seems to have the scoring ability well distributed. Bethlehem defeated Newark by the score of 5 to 0 on Saturday and journeyed to Newark yesterday to defeat the Jerseyites by the score of 5 to 1.

Sunday's Game

In spite of the adverse conditions presented by the small field -- smaller in fact than the New York Oval --- the Steel Workers once adapted to the conditions stuck their stride and then with rapidity rolled up their margin of victory. The game, however, was a more spirited affair than the one witnessed in Bethlehem on Saturday afternoon and hardly as one sided as the score would seem to indicate.

Newark had quite a few threatening breakaways but were unable to take advantage of the opportunities in finishing and furthermore found Highfield, the Bethlehem goalie, a Gibraltar in front of the Bethlehem meshes.

Torrid scrimmages in the vicinity of the Bethlehem goal were frequent but the Steel Workers were always successful in clearing until late in the game when Ford sneaked one through which Highfield was unable to handle. While the work of Highfield stood out as a strong defensive factor so did that of Jimmy Douglas the Newark custodian and to the latter can be attributed the fact that Archie Stark, the league leading scorer, was held without a goal. On no less than three occasions did Douglas frustrate well directed shots from the boot of Stark, one in particular from close range that traveled with the speed of a bullet.

However, it was unnecessary for Stark to score with several of his teammates in fine shooting fettle and once after notching the first goal Bethlehem scores came in regular succession. The right side of Bethlehem's forward line did not function perfectly in the early minutes of the game but once it got going mostly in the second half, it was Forrest, the outer right wing who individually was responsible for one goal, the prettiest of the game and paved the way for no less than three others.

On the other wing Johnny Rollo was invincible. The little inside forward displayed a bag full of stuff. Fast and elusive with good ball control and accurate shot, the Bethlehem inside left [. . .] with the best front liners on the field. Two of the five goals scored by Bethlehem were notched by Rollo.

Hardly three more minutes remained in the first half when Forrest taking a pass from Carnihan dribbled down the right wing. On his journey he successfully tricked Adams and t hen carried the ball. Instead of passing to center Forrest shot from a difficult angle, the ball sailing high and scarcely passed on the inside of the bar in lading in the corner of the net, well out of the reach of Douglas. It was one of the prettiest goals witnessed. In the waning minutes which still remained Newark pressed hard but without any result.

Corner kicks were productive of three of the four goals, scored by Bethlehem in the second half and very few went [. . . ], a fact most encouraging to the followers of the Bethlehem team. Pretty combination work by the forwards was responsible for forcing the corners, the Newark defense giving away under the severe pressure.

Stark was the target of the Newark defense and one sensing this fact the Bethlehem center forward unselfishly fed his wing men, even when opportunities seemed open to attempt to score for himself. Carnihan, too, a stonewall at the center half position, shot his passes with deadly accuracy to the wings. The result was that the play was sell distributed and the Newark backs were unable to center their efforts on any one individual.

The lineup:

Bethlehem F. C. -- Newark F. C.
Highfield -- G -- Douglas
Young -- RFB -- Post
J. Ferguson -- LFB -- Adams
McDonald -- RHB -- Nehel
Carnihan -- CHB -- Kelly
MacGregor -- LHB -- T. Stark
Forrest -- OR -- Ford
Granger -- IR -- Docherty
Stark -- CF -- Heminsley
Rollo -- IL -- Ingram
Robertson -- OL -- McBay
Goals -- Rollo 2, Forrest, MacFarlane, Robertson, Ingram. Referee -- Lowe. Linesmen -- D. Ferguson, and J. Smith. Time of halves, 45 minutes.

Saturday Game

Rejuvenated by recent acquisitions, the Newark F. C. failed to make a very favorable impression with local fans on the Steel field on Saturday afternoon, withering under the attack of the forwards and finding the Bethlehem Steel F. C. defense impregnable in submitting to a 5 to 0 defeat. The Steel Workers were master of every situation and after once breaking late the scoring column, the ultimate result was never again in doubt.

Newark inspired by a recent victory over the New York Giants, a team that twice conquered the Steel Workers, played with a spirited determination in the early minutes of the game, but after their forwards failed to make an impression with the Steel Workers' defense, while the Bethlehem forwards eluded and tricked the visitors' defense almost at will, seemed to lose heart, and once after Bethlehem scored seemed content to devote their efforts to defensive tactics.

Four of the five goals counted by Bethlehem were garnered without a taint and well merited by pretty shooting. The other goal, a penalty, opened the scoring for the Steel Workers. The combination play and passing of the forwards was good and it seemed for the first time in weeks that a thorough understanding existed among them. With Robertson on the left wing and Forrest on the opposite side, the inside men seemed to have perfect confidence in distributing the play and the work of Maxwell and Forrest, particularly the clever manipulating of the ball by the latter, was pretty to witness.

The Steel Workers took the lead after twenty-two minutes of play, favored by a penalty, while pressing hard close in the vicinity of the Newark goal. McBay, in determined effort to clear, accidentally handled the ball in the penalty area and Archie Stark took the kick. He placed the ball well diagonally into he corner of the net and well out of the reach of Douglas.

Hardly five minutes had elapsed before the Steel Workers earned their first tally. Stark broke away and with the defense seemingly centering their attention on the Bethlehem forwards, slipped a neat pass to Rollo. Although the latter was no less than twenty yards out, he drove for goal, the ball skimming along the ground with great speed, and entered the net just as Douglas threw himself headlong in an effort to save. Bethlehem continued to press but the half ended with the Steel Workers leading by the score of 2 to 0.

Shortly after the teams turned around, "Bob" MacGregor, a Bethlehem halfback, made good with a shot from long range. The Steel Workers' halfback, shooting for goal, instead of passing, seemed to take Douglas off his guard and before he could realize what it was all about the ball landed in the meshes.

Inspired by this early success, the Steel Workers were all over the visitors and another goal came in rapid succession. Robertson, playing nicely on the left wing, broke away, and carried the ball down the wing close to the touchline. His center was perfect and Stark, in direct line with the ball, [. . .] boot to it, deflecting it into the net.

[. . . ] piece of work, confined to Stark and MacGregor, paved the way for the fifth and final goal for Bethlehem. Forrest taking the pass for the parting shot was close to the goal mouth and made no mistake with his shot.

Seemingly satisfied with the goal counted and the fact that the defense had withstood the best, the visitors had the Steel Workers were more or less content to ease up, and most attempts that were made to score were from wide range.

The lineup:

Bethlehem Steel -- Newark F. C.
Highfield -- G -- Douglas
Young -- RFB -- Post
D. Ferguson -- LFB -- Adams
MacGregor -- RHB -- T. Stark
Carnihan -- CHB -- Kelly
McDonald -- LHB -- McBay
Forrest -- OR -- Ingram
Maxwell -- IR -- Heminsley
Stark -- CF -- Docherty
Rollo -- IL -- Ford
Robertson -- OL -- Smith
Goals: Stark 2 (one a penalty), Forrest, Rollo, MacGregor. Referee: George Young, Philadelphia. Linesmen: Barclay and Carson. Time of halves, 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club