Sporting Life – Philadelphia
January 1, 1916
Bethlehem 3, Disston 0

PHILADELPHIA, Pa., December 26. – Contrary to expectations, the replayed second round of the National Cup competition between Bethlehem and Disston, at Tacony Ball Park, yesterday was a poor exhibition of foot ball, Disston making a very poor showing and losing out by three goals to none. Had the home team instead of playing the man in the scrimmage, gone after the ball more it would have had a better chance of making more progress, Andrews being one of the chief offenders. From the kickoff, playing with the wind, the Disston forward line attacked, but the defense of the opposing side relieved the pressure and set going Fleming, but the latter shot past the goal. From the six-yard kick the Steelworkers again attacked and at the expiration of 20 minutes of play Pepper opened the scoring with a cross shot into the right hand corner of the goal, Pearce having very little chance. Ten minutes later another goal was scored by the visitors, Pearce again having no chance when MacDonald’s shot hit the right upright and bounced into the net. The Bethlehem team continued to play the better foot ball and when halftime arrived held a substantial lead of two goals. After the teams had changed ends play was even rougher in this period than in the first one, Morrison going in for a fair share of rough charging. However, the clever little halfback went on with his game without retaliating. The third goal of the match was scored at six minutes from the restart, Butler booting the ball into the net at short range after Pearce had partially cleared from Brown. From the center kick, play was of the midfield order, but on the breakaway Fleming flashed the ball into the net, but was ruled offside by Referee Walders. Time was drawing to a close and it was quite perceptible that the teams were beginning to feel the strain of the contest, Disston having one of the best chances to score, but the shots lacked the sting to beat the goalkeeper. Score:

Duncan – G – Pearce
Fletcher – RFB – Small
Ferguson – LFB – Spalding
Murray – RHB – McLaughlin
Campbell – CHB – Rodgers
Morrison – LHB – Kirkpatrick
Butler – OR – Andrews
MacDonald – IR – Ware
Pepper – CF – Houlson
Brown – IR – Morrison
Fleming – OL -- Bailey
Referee – James Walders. Linesmen – Lawson and Scott. Time of halves, 45 minutesw. Goals: Pepper, MacDonald, and Butler.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club