Globe-Times -- Bethlehem
Wednesday, January 1, 1930

This is part of a round-up article.

After more than a year of warfare between clashing interests which caused the American Soccer League, the premier professional organization in the country, to break away from the parent body, the United States Football Association, the leaders of the game succeeded in patching up a peace early in October. This resulted in the formation of the Atlantic Coast Soccer League, which practically took the place of the old American League with almost the identical circuit.

Andrew M. Brown, erstwhile head of the U. S. F. A., was chose as president of the new league and Lieutenant Colonel G. Randolph Manning, first president of the U. S. F. A. for the Eastern professional leagues. He is also president of the Eastern Soccer League, organized originally for the purpose of combating the outlawed professionals, and which continues with a somewhat diminished membership.

Slowly but surely the game is recovering the ground lost while the battle was one, but it will be some time before the treasuries of the contending clubs can be replenished.

The Preston North End Football Club of England was the only British team to visit this country during 1929, and while their stay lasted much interest was aroused. The visitors won seven matches, lost two and tied two.

Hakoah, which brought together under one management the leading Jewish players in this country when the split between the U. S. F. A. and the American League occurred, joined the Eastern League and captured the national challenge trophy by defeating the Madison Kennel Football Club of St. Louis in the finals on March 31 and April 7. Hakoah defeated the New York Giants in the semi-finals, while the Madisons had won from the Sparta A. A. of Chicago.

Hakoah was also the runner-up to Bethlehem in the second half of the championship competition of the Eastern League. The first half also was won by Bethlehem, with the New York Giants second. The Steel workers established a remarkable record, losing only four games out of forty-one during the season. Archie Stark, of that club, was the leading goal scorer, getting twenty-nine in the first half and nineteen in the second for a total of forty-eight.

The Eastern League teams all entered the cup competition of the newly organized New York State Football Association and the New York Giants, after victories over Bethlehem and Hakoah, emerged as winners of the trophy.

Following the example of Bethlehem in the Eastern League, Fall River finished ahead in both sections of the American League. In the first half the New Englanders defeated the Brooklyn Wanderers in the deciding game and in the second they one from Providence by one point. The New York Nationals, who preceded Hakoah as national champions, won the American League Cup by outranking New Bedford in the three games needed for the finals. The New York Nationals were the runners-up to Providence in the cup fight of the temporary American Soccer Association.

The National Amateur Cup was won by the Heidelberg Football Club of Heidelberg, Pa., which defeated the First German Football Club of Newark in the final at Newark. There were seventy-five teams in that competition and 100 in the U. S. F. A. national.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club