The Globe-Times – Bethlehem
Monday, March 3, 1930
Wins From Brooklyn and Meets Fall River Next for Eastern Division Title

Five thousand soccer fans braved a biting March wind to see Bethlehem’s soccer team defeat Brooklyn Wanderers, 2 to 0,on Hawthorne Field, the home grounds of the Agarites on Sunday afternoon, a victory which incidentally eliminated the Brooklyn boys from the National Challenge Cup competition and advanced the Steel City booters to the final round.

While Bethlehem was mowing down Brooklyn, Fall River was performing equally as successful, eliminating Pawtucket by the score of 5 to 2. The Marksmen and Bethlehem will engage in the Eastern Division final on the Polo Grounds, New York, two weeks hence and the winner of this game to meet with the winner of the Western sector in the divisional series for the National title.

Bethlehem’s success was garnered in the first seventeen minutes of play when Jaap and Dick located the rigging with well directed shots and from then on to the final whistle it was a bruising battle, devoid of any further scoring.

Captain Grosz, of Brooklyn, won the toss and elected to play against the wind in the first half. The advantage which Bethlehem gained in that period was never taken from them. Johnny Jaap was the first to shot a goal and Alec Dick, Bethlehem’s outside left, placed his side two points to the good two minutes later.

The losers put in two substitutes but Bethlehem played with the same team all the way through. Gibson, a fullback, played at outside right in place of Gillespie, who, with Allen, was on the injured list. Gibson gave a good account of himself in his unaccustomed position.

After a long run Eisenhoffer dodged Finlayson and sent the ball to Robertson’s head. Bethlehem was the first to gain a corner off McAdam after five minutes. Eisenhoffer forced one for Brrokliyn on the left side two minutes later. Jaap tried to get through, but was blocked by McAdam. A fine cross by Robertson was gathered in by Fraser, Massie and Stark put Smith on his mettle and then Stark shot past.

As Finlayson fouled Mehadoma, Kovacsl was allowed a free kick, which led to a good, but fruitless rally by the Brooklyn Wanderers.

Jaap Scores First Goal

Dick, on the left wing for Bethlehem launched a zigzag play with Stark after fifteen minutes of play, which drew out Smith, whereupon Jaap was Johnny-on-the-spot and drove into the net for the first tally of the game.

Armstrong Patterson, of Detroit, president of the U. S. F. A., was an interested onlooker. The lineup:

Wanderers – Bethlehem
Smith – G – Fraser
McAdam – RFB -- Finlayson
Grosz – LFB -- McGregor
Brown – RHB – Reid
Maguire – CHB – Carnihan
Kovacal – LHB – Pitt
Robertson – OR – Gibson
Weisz – IR – Jaap
Nehadoma – CF – Stark
Devline – IL – Massie
Eisenhoffer – OL – Dick
Goals: Jaap, Dick. Substitutions: Schneider for Kovacal, Yule for Devlin. Referee, E. McCabe. Linesmen, C. E. Creighton and M. Hutchinson. Time of halves, 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club