The Globe-Times -- Bethlehem
Monday, March 7, 1927
Champions Roll Up One-Sided Score of 7-0 on Lehigh Field Saturday

Running riot in piling up goals and counting the high total of eighteen in the last three games, Bethlehem Steel, National champions and American Soccer League leaders, completely vanquished the Philadelphia F. C., on the home lot on Saturday afternoon, 7 to 0.

Substituted in the last half to take Granger's place at inside right, Georgie Forrest, who played a brilliant game against Coats the week previous, was again at his best. This hard shooting forward was deprived of negotiating what in soccer parlance is known as the "hat trick" meaning the scoring of 3 successive goals. In the last ten minutes of play he located the net with his first counter, a terrific shot high into the corner of the net. Within a few minutes he had counted his second, driving a shot with which Pearce the visitors goalie had no chance to save. His third goal came just after the game ended, and the referee ruling that he had tooted his whistle disallowed the count.

Bethlehem counted three goals in the first half and four in the second. Gillespie opened the scoring early in the game with a pretty shot and was followed shortly afterwards by Stark. Before the half ended Gillespie had located the net for his second goal.

Shortly after the start of the second half Jaap working the ball toward the goal, easily beat Pearce with his shot, to break into the scoring column. This goal was followed by one from MacGregor. On a throw in with MacGregor close to the touch line, the veteran halfback had just enough swerve on the ball to locate it high in the far corner of the net.

The Bethlehem forwards continued with pretty passing and several opportunities were lost when the ball was shot past. Forrest on the receiving end of this combination score both his goals with first time shots. Bethlehem outclass their opponents in every department of the game and at no time in either half did the visitors ever come dangerously near a score.

Philadelphia -- Bethlehem
Pearce -- G -- Edwards
McAdam -- RFB -- Allan
Gregg - -LFB -- Barrie
Duffy -- RHB -- Reid
Forrest -- CHB -- Carnihan
Pitts -- LHB -- MacGregor
Carrol -- OR -- Jaap
Burness -- IR -- Stark
Farrell -- CF -- Gillespie
McGuire -- IL -- Granger
Wardrop -- OL -- Goldie
Goals: Gillespie 2, Stark, Jaap, Forrest 2, MacGregor. Substitutions: Galbraith for Edwards, Forrest for Granger. Referee, Courage. Time of halves, 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club