The Globe-Times Bethlehem
Monday, March 21, 1921
In Soccer Game at Philadelphia on Saturday Each Scored Two Goals

The Bethlehem Steel soccer team collided with the pick of the Allied American Association before a record breaking attendance in Philadelphia on Saturday afternoon and at the conclusion of ninety minutes of play, the score was tied at two goals each.

The picked team presented an unusually strong brand of football, the backs in particular proving a strong defense against the clever and speedy combination of the Steel Workers. While the Bethlehem team was at full strength, Brittan and Ferguson seemed to be the two players that did not mind the dashing tactics of their opponents and treated the crowd to some fine pieces of play, both of the defensive and offensive.

A strong wind was blowing at the commencement of the match, and as Captain Jim Campbell, of the visitors, won the toss he chose the southern goal to defend. Despite this advantage, the picked team was the first to score after 25 minutes, when Fullerton placed well to Brigham, who eluded Collier and centered to Rudolph, the latter putting the ball into the net, well out of reach of Kerr. After this reverse, Bethlehem made several raids on the local goal, but Fleming skied his shots, two of which barely missed the bar.

The equalizing tally came at the end of 40 minutes, when Jimmy Wilson forced a corner off his brother, Scotty, the former placing the flag kick well into the goal mouth, but Pearce cleared and on the return Morrison kicked the ball into the net. The Allied team took the lead three minutes later through Anderson, when he headed the ball past Kerr, after receiving from B. McGhee.

After the intermission the Philadelphians began to show the strain of their fast work on the first half, while Bethlehem seemed to have been benefited by the rest, and it was not long before Pearce was called upon to save a hot shot from Fleming, which drew applause from the spectators. Continuing, the vesting forwards were often dangerous, but Wilson and McLaughlin were safe. During one of these raids, Pearce cleared a shot at close range from the extreme right and failing to recover in time for the return, Wilson assumed the role of goalkeeper, with the result that referee awarded a penalty for hands. Fleming was entrusted with the kick and making no mistake, drove the ball hard and straight into the roof of the net.

A few minutes before the final whistle, Bethlehem attacked with vigor and it looked very much as though they would score, as two corners were gained in quick succession, but the flag kicks went past.

Picked Team Bethlehem
Pearce G Kerr
McLaughlin RFB Collier
Wilson LFB Ferguson
Dickson RHB Bethune
Brooks CHB Campbell
Fullerton LHB Murray
Andrews OR Wilson
Rudolph IR Morrison
J. McGhee CF Brittan
B. McGhee IL Forrest
Brigham OL Fleming
Goals Rudolph, Andrews, Morrison, Fleming. Time of halves, 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club