The Globe -- Bethlehem
Monday, March 29, 1926
Some of the Locals' Best Men Not Played, Being Saved for Big Final

Fielding a rearranged lineup after the hard game with New Bedford here on Saturday and including McGraw, a new goalie between the uprights, the Bethlehem Steel F. C., Eastern finalists in the U. S. F. A. Cup competition, engaged in a 3 goal draw with the Brooklyn Wanderers at Hawthorne Field, Brooklyn, on Sunday afternoon. The game was an American Soccer League contest.

Speedy Backs Out of Lineup

Other changes conspicuous in the Steel Workers' lineup were in the halfback line, where the veteran MacGregor and Carnihan were among the missing, and in their stead the club played Raeside, formerly of Fall River, and Harris, a more recent acquisition, who previously had played only one game with the Steelmen. However, both players acquitted themselves in fine style with possibly the only weakness apparent in the work of McGraw in goal.

The Steel Workers wisely elected to lay up some of their regulars as a precaution against possible injury with the big cup classic looming in the near offing. On the forward line Purvis and Robertson, both of whom gave an excellent display against New Bedford the day previous, were again in harness. Brooklyn scored the equalizing goal in the last minute of play, McGuire netting the goal. Brooklyn was first to score, but at half time Bethlehem was leading 2 to 1.

Brooklyns Score First Goal

Five minutes from the start, Robinson went down on the right for Brooklyn and crossed to Yule, who passed to McGuire. The Latter's drive hit the crossbar, but Lyell got possession and scored for Brooklyn.

A high dropping shot by Raeside from the halfback line, after a throw-in on the right, went over Robertson's head, passing by Smith into the Brooklyn net, ten minutes later. The first corners of the game came after thirty-three minutes when Brooklyn forced two in succession.

Near half time Stark, of Bethlehem, gave his aid the lead as McMillan stopped a long drive by McDonald. Brooklyn claimed a foul which was disallowed by Referee Young.

In the second half after thirty-two minutes, Robinson, of Brooklyn, evened the score by heading in a corner kick from Yule on the left. Five minutes later Bethlehem regained the lead as Robertson miskicked and Stark netted the ball after two tries. The game seemed to be Bethlehem's when, with one minute to go, McGuire equalized from a mix-up.

The lineup:

Wanderers -- Bethlehem
Smith -- G -- McGraw
Robinson -- RFB -- Berryman
McMillan -- LHB -- Allen
Morris -- RHB -- McDonald
McManus -- CHB -- Raeside
Herd -- LHB -- Harris
Robinson -- OR -- Forrest
Burness -- IR -- Purvis
Lyell -- CF -- Stark
McGuire -- IL -- Rollo
Yule -- OL -- Robertson
Goals -- Lyell, Robinson, McGuire, Brooklyn Wanderers; Raeside, Stark 2, Bethlehem.
Referee -- George Young, Philadelphia. Linesmen -- W. Williams and S. Day. Time -- halves of 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club