The Globe -- Bethlehem
Monday, April 2, 1923
Locals Maintain Lead in American Soccer by Downing the Phillies
Local Eleven Was Minus Three Star Players Today

Bethlehem F. C. journeyed o Philadelphia today and in a morning game defeated the Philadelphia F. C. by the score of 1 goal to none.

The Bethlehem clan were all over their Philadelphia opponents and during the entire ninety minutes of hostilities the Philadelphia club threatened only once. That was fifteen minutes after the restart when the Phillies had their first shot at the goal but it went wide.

Winning the toss Bethlehem played with a strong gale blowing across the field in their favor but despite the advantage several brilliant saves by Ness, the goalkeeper, together with inaccurate goal shooting prevented Bethlehem from locating in the net. Opportunities were galore but they availed little.

On the other hand the Bethlehems had little trouble in frustrating the affairs of the Philadelphia forward line and seldom was the ball carried beyond midfield. The playing in the second half was practically a repetition of the opening period with the exception that McNiven scored the goal that brought Bethlehem victory.

There were fifteen more minutes to go when Grainger got possession and passed to Terris, the latter crossing to McNiven who converted the pass into a goal.

By the victory Bethlehem still further strengthened its hold on first place in the American League for it was the playoff of one of the many games postponed because of unfavorable weather conditions. Bethlehem went to the post minus the services of Goldie, the brilliant outside left, whose position was occupied by Terris. McFarlane and Rattray were the regulars who appeared against Fall River Saturday also among the missing. The lineup:

Philadelphia -- Bethlehem
Ness -- G -- Highfield
J. Campbell -- RFB -- Young
McLaughlin -- LFB -- Ferguson
Rondle -- RHB -- Raeside
Rodger -- CHB -- Carnihan
Fullerton -- LHB -- Coxe
Morton - -OR -- Campbell
Hasby -- IR -- Grainger
Rooney -- CF - -McNiven
A. Brown -- IL - -Maxwell
McGhee -- OL -- Terris
Goal: McNiven. Referee: John Walders, Philadelphia. Linesmen -- Faulds and Brooks. Time of halves: 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club