The Globe -- Bethlehem
Thursday, July 14, 1921
First Half Our Boys Played Steady Ball, Not Flashy But Consistent
Great Crowd on Hand Pleased With Fine Work of Third Lanarks

A careful diagnosis of the play witnessed yesterday afternoon on Taylor Stadium when the All-Scottish stars defeated Bethlehem F. C. by the score of 8 goals to 1, could concede Bethlehem the supremacy in no one department, taking the game as a whole. In the opening half Bethlehem played the style of football that was calculated to upset the visitors and the score at half time showed that they were successful and more than held their own with the overseas opponents.

However, in the second half it was a complete rout by the Scottish players, the morale of the Bethlehem team flittering when Duncan appeared so easily beaten shots that a few years ago would have been easy for him. It was a disheartening gang that finished the game for Bethlehem and a team that played so excellently in the first half and the early stages of the second half appeared completely demoralized.

The victory was the twenty-first straight for the Scots since their invasion of Canada and America and while the defeat of the Bethlehem F. C. was not unlooked for or a disgrace to the merit of the home clan, nevertheless the large score rolled up mainly through the inability of Duncan to make good was a blot on their excellent campaigning, the score being the biggest rolled up on a Bethlehem team since their inception eight years ago.

However, it was by no means an inferior team that succeeded in vanquishing the pride of the American soccer world and in that fact alone there is some consolation for the defeated players. Rather it was a team comprising celebrities of the very best in Scottish football and a team which, according to the remarks of J. B. Connell, critic and sports writer for the Glasgow Evening News, made at the banquet following the game, was better than the team that defeated England last April by the score of three goals to nothing in the big international match that is the annual leading feature of British football.

It was a revelation to see the scientific manner with which the visitors manipulated the ball and got set in a position to receive it. There were no weak spots on the team, but instead a well balanced combination of players of whom it would be unfair to single out any of them for special mention. The forwards, comprising Thompson, McMenemy, Wilson, Maxwell and Low, were perfect in their continual scheming for position and seldom shot unless a reasonable opportunity presented itself. Always when within range any one of the above mentioned were dangerous. In advancing the ball to Bethlehem territory it was a treat to see the low, accurate passing as well timed and at the most unsuspected moment for an opponent to gauge.

The Scottish halfbacks and fullbacks were also players of the first rank and proved a bulwark in defensive tactics when Bethlehem was the aggressor. As for Brownlie, considered the best custodian in Europe, he lived up to his reputation and did his work with a confident deliberation which stamped him as a master in the sport.

Such a complete collapse as that witnessed after the restart could probably be attributed to the lack of thorough conditioning. From personal observation, it appeared as though the Bethlehem players went dead all of a sudden while their Scottish opponents speeded up the pace as the game progressed. The condition of the Bethlehem players may also have been due in large degree to the routine of condition, the Bethlehem players appearing to have been handicapped by insufficient scrimmage. Probably this fact, coupled with the moral effect on the tam when the home custodian failed to size up to his former standard, was more or less directly responsible for the high score rolled up in the closing stages by the opponents.

Another disadvantage experienced by the Bethlehem players, according to one of the officials of the team, were the short sized cleats worn on the shoes of the home team in playing on the heavily sodded turf, while those worn by the Scotchmen were easily again as long. The unsteady bootwork and frequent slipping of the Bethlehem clan, this official says, played an important factor in upsetting the Bethlehem combination. After all, in viewing the game from every available angle, it was simply the case of the better team winning.

The Bethlehem team, as a whole, deserved much credit for the excellent showing in the first half and the early stages of the second. Spectators who witnessed the play in the first half could not understand the catastrophe which took place in the last thirty minutes. The team hardly appeared to be the same that started against the Scotchmen. Vision of a victory loomed up bright when Fleming's low drive into the corner of the net first punctured the scoring columns and the fans went wild with enthusiasm. It was a nonpartisan crowd and they were quick to appreciate each and every clever move made by the visitors, as the home players. These efforts frequently brought rounds of applause.

Bethlehem won the toss and Andy Wilson kicked off for Scotland and made tracks for the Bethlehem goal. Porter cleared and Fleming got possession close in and had a wonderful opportunity to open the scoring in the first minute. He shot hard and Brownlie in an effort to get into position slipped and fell. However, the ball struck the upright and went past.

The Scotch took up the attack and by clever footwork carried the ball to Bethlehem territory, Maxwell and Low being prominent with some fine work, the movement ending when Andy Wilson shot over the bar. Bethlehem again attacked, but Britain's

of game continuing to play the methodical short passing game that is recognized as the typical Scottish style. Four minutes later they tied the score when Thompson's shot was poorly handled by Duncan, the ball glancing into the net from the goal keeper's hands. Play then continued even until the interval and both teams left the field with honors divided.

When the play was resumed, Bethlehem looked like scoring again in the first minute of play when McCormack was forced to conceded a corner. Fleming took the kick and dropped the ball close to the bar but McCormack headed clear and the danger was averted.

The Scottish left wing got away and after clever football between Maxwell and Low, Duncan was called upon to save from Maxwell. Fleming was next to try to find the net and Brownlie saved easily. The Scots were clear and Duncan had to dive the full length of the net to save a shot from Wilson. The ball hit his hands and caromed around the upright for a corner. The corner was well placed but was cleared to the left, although Low got possession and returned from a similar position and McMenemy scored the Scots' second goal within eight minutes of the restart. This goal seemed to put new life into the Scotch and they passed and repassed in clever fashion. IN a few more minutes Wilson made the score 3 to 1 with a header on a cross shot from Low.

The Scotchmen seemed to have complete control of the situation and they gave a demonstration of football superior to anything ever seen in this country. The ball was passed from player to player with such precision and accuracy that the spectators simply marveled at the exhibition. With thirty minutes to go Bethlehem seemed a demoralized team and goals came at regular intervals. However, one of the most discouraging features of the home players in wrecking the morale of the Bethlehem team was the apparent inability of Duncan to gauge the flight of the ball and shots that should have been easy for him to stop of which there were at least four that should have been taken care of the custodian who probably gave his worst display. The goals that followed were made by Thompson, Wilson, Maxwell, Wilson and Thompson. The lineup:

Scotland -- Bethlehem
Brown -- G -- Duncan
McCormack -- RHB -- Fletcher
Orr -- LHB -- Ferguson
Scott -- RHB -- Campbell
Brown -- CHB -- Porter
McAndrews -- LHB -- Rutherford
Thompson -- OR -- Murphy
McMenemy -- IR -- Morley
Wilson -- CF -- Brittan
Maxwell -- IL -- Forrest
Low -- OL -- Fleming
Goals -- Fleming, Thompson 3, Wilson 3, McMenemy, Maxwell. Referee: J. H. Carpenter. Linesmen -- H. Williams and R. Furry. Time of halves, 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club