The Globe-Times -- Bethlehem
Monday, September 2, 1929
Archie Stark Scores Bethlehem's Four Goals in Tensely Played Clash

In a game that thrilled the more than four thousand spectators and in which the lead changed no less than five times, New York Hakoah playing on their home field at Starlight Park yesterday afternoon defeated Bethlehem in the opening Eastern Soccer League game. The score was 5 to 4.

For an early season game the playing was of first class caliber in which Archie Stark, Bethlehem brilliant center forward, earned the rousing plaudits of the spectators after scoring each of the Steelmen's four goals.

Hakoah fielded a club at full war strength while Bethlehem presented a side that was conspicuous by the absence of several veterans who will join the team later. The forward line was rearranged owing to the absence of Alec Massie, while on the halfback line Johnny Rollo played in the position of Willie Reid, and Finlayson, the former Providence player and a newcomer to the Bethlehem team this year, played a bang-up game at right fullback. It was the first time in his career that Finlayson, a halfback, played a back position.

Bethlehem after forging into the lead was forced to bow to the All-Jewish players in the closing minutes of the game. The fast pace played under a broiling sun visibly effected many of the players in the closing minutes. Leo Grenfeld decided the tense battle with his winning goal coming five minutes before the whistle.

Both teams were slightly under par, the blazing sun doing its work to slow up the efforts of nearly all the players, but Archie Stark stood out conspicuously by scoring all four goals for the steelworkers, every one brilliant.

The Jewish players cane on tot he field wearing black arm bands out of respect for their dead in Palestine and the game was halted for one minute just before half-time, when everyone stood uncovered.

Wortmann opened the scoring after ten minutes of play, clever combination by Schwarz and Gruenwald leading up to the goal. This reverse nettled Bethlehem, for right from the restart Bobby Curtis broke away and slipped the ball over to Stark, who equalized with a lightening shot.

The battle waxed hot for the next twenty minutes, both teams playing for all they were worth to get in front, but again Stark did the trick for Bethlehem to shove the ahead.

Toward half-time Hakoah knocked Bethlehem back with a series of savage attacks which brought results. Gruenwald once more tied up the count with a spectacular run through the opposition and duplicated his brilliant effort before the interval put Hakoah ahead by 3 to 2. Stark scored his third goal soon after resuming to even the count and fifteen minutes later drove in his fourth tally, putting Bethlehem in front.

Things now began to hum as the crowd yelled madly for Hakoah to score. The national champions were not long answering the call, for after Schwarz had evened up with a great goal, a long shot from a difficult angle.

Leo Grenfeld, who had replaced Haeusler, put through the winning goal with a clever overhead kick five minutes from the end.

In the remaining time Bethlehem made frantic efforts to score, but Grosz and Sternberg never wavered.

The lineup:

Hakoah -- Bethlehem
Fabian -- G -- Beveridge
Grosz -- RFB -- Finlayson
Sternberg -- LFB -- Allan
Nichoalsburger -- RHB - -Rollo
Guttman -- CHB -- Carnihan
Mahrer -- LHB -- McGregor
Schwarz -- OR -- Gillespie
Haeusler -- IR -- Curtis
Gruenwald -- CF -- Stark
Wortmann -- IL -- Jaap
B. Grenfeld -- OL -- Purgavie
Substitutions: Drucker for Guttman, L. Grenfeld for Haeusler. Goals: Gruenwald 2, Wortmann, Schwarz, Leo Grenfeld, Stark 4. Referee: E. J. Donaghy. Linesmen: T. Davidson and J. Masterston. Time of halves -- 45 minutes.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club