The Globe -- Bethlehem
Friday, November 28, 1919
In Second Round National Cup Contest, Bethlehem is Returned Victor

Merchant Ship, one of the most feared antagonists for the united States soccer honors, fell by the wayside in a conflict with the Bethlehem Steel champions yesterday afternoon in the second round of the National Cup competition. The final score was 3 to 0 with Bethlehem on the long end.

Merchants won the toss and the Steel Workers had to face the wind in the first half but were soon the aggressors and McKelvey had the first shot the ball going over the bar. Bethlehem continued to attack and Harris opened the scoring with a shot that looked easy for the goalkeeper but Rooney spoiled the view of the custodian when he seemed set for the ball.

This early reverse did not affect the play of the Merchants and in the next minute Wilson forced a corner off Ferguson, Duncan cleared and Bethlehem again returned to the attack and McKelvey sent past when he had no one to beat but the goalkeeper Pepper forced a corner and Campbell headed over the bar. The Merchants now took up the attack and Wilson had two good shots that just missed the up-right. Duncan saved from Parker and Satterwaite sent past Bethlehem halfbacks were now settled down to their game after a period of apparent inaction with the result that the forwards got more of the ball after a keen attack.

Campbell made the score two to nothing with a header from a well placed corner by McKelvey. Play was even after this but just before half-time Harris added another goal on a pass from Forrest.

The Merchants started with a rush but the Bethlehem defense was too much for them and [...] spell of maneuvering in midfield ended when Spalding conceded a corner. McKelvey's center was poor and was easily cleared but Bethlehem continued the aggressor and Harris missed the easiest chance of the day when he kicked past with no one in front of him but Bagg. Merchants were now playing desperately to prevent a shut out and good crosses by Wilson looked dangerous. But the Steel Workers defense was now showing a more perfect understanding than they did in the first half with the result that there was always someone in position to avert the danger.

Twenty minutes from the finish Kirkpatrick was injured and Merchants resorted to t he one back game which slowed up the contest. The Bethlehem forwards, particularly Harris, being called up for offside on many occasions when a score seemed imminent. In the closing minutes, Kirkpatrick returned and the Steel Workers again attacked and Harris had the best individual effort of the day beating two men and then shooting hard at Bagg who was fortunate to be in the direct line of the ball. Otherwise he would never have stopped the center's effort. Merchants now seemed to lose heart and the game ended with the ball in home territory.

Bethlehem -- Merchant F. C.
Duncan -- G -- Baggs
Fletcher -- RFB -- Rooney
Ferguson -- LFB -- Spalding
Murray -- RHB -- Russell
Campbell -- CHB -- MacKay
Blakey -- LHB -- Kirkpatrick
McKelvey -- OR -- J. Wilson
Pepper -- IR -- Satterwaite
Harris -- CF -- Parker
Forrest -- IL -- Steel
Fleming -- OL -- Leigh
Final score: Bethlehem 3; Merchants, 0. Half-time score: Bethlehem 3; Merchants 0. Goals mad by Harris, 2; Campbell. Referee: David Scott. Linesmen: Nolan and Morrison. Time of halves: 45 minutes.

Other Soccer Results

Wanderers F. C. got sweet revenge for previous defeats in yearly cup tie matches by winning from Disston A. A., 3 to 1, in the second round of the National Cup series at Tacony baseball grounds, Philadelphia, before several hundred spectators yesterday. The Wanderers won the first half, when the goals were scored.

At New York yesterday before 3,000 persons the New York soccer team beat Paterson F. C. by 1 to 0 in the second round of the National Challenge Cup competition. The game opened at a dazzling pace, Paterson forcing two corners in the first few minutes, but both were cleared. New York attacked in great style and obtained a corner off Murray. O'Halloran played the ball beautifully and Petrie opened the scoring ten minutes from the kick-off with an unstoppable shot.

The Robins Drydock dropped their first point in the National League competition yesterday by only drawing their league game with Morse Drydock at Morse oval. The bitter feeling between the rival dockers attracted a large crowd, who saw a rousing game end in a goalless draw. The Robins had most of the play, but the Morse defenders were in fine form.

Harry "Lefty" Nolan, center forward of Merchant F. C. of Harriman, Pa., was given his release by Manager Bedford after the game with Bethlehem yesterday afternoon. Nolan, who was left out of the lineup against Bethlehem, has been one of the most consistent scorers this season for the shipbuilders. Since the opening of the season "Lefty" has averaged one goal each game.

Bethlehem Steel Soccer Club